Gas safety checks - who needs them?


18th Feb 2014

You must ensure that any gas appliances (permanent or portable), and gas flues that you own and provide for use by your tenants have regular gas safety checks.

For more information see Regulation (36)(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 Gas safety checks are needed by:

Landlords Housing associations Local authorities Hotels and B&Bs Colleges Boarding schools Hostels In hotels and B&Bs, you must arrange an annual gas safety check for any gas appliances serving guest accommodation even if it is sited away from the guest accommodation.

As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:

a description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked the name, registration number and signature of the individual carrying out the check the date on which the appliance or flue was checked the address of the property at which the appliance or flue is installed the name and address of the landlord (or their agent where appropriate) any defect identified and any remedial action taken a statement confirming that the safety check has been completed and complies with the requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Also employers are given the following guidance regarding workplace safety:

It is an employer's duty to protect the health, safety and welfare of their employees and other people who might be affected by their business. Employers must do whatever is reasonably practicable to achieve this.

This means making sure that workers and others are protected from anything that may cause harm, effectively controlling any risks to injury or health that could arise in the workplace.

Employers have duties under health and safety law to assess risks in the workplace. Risk assessments should be carried out that address all risks that might cause harm in your workplace.

Employers must give you information about the risks in your workplace and how you are protected, also instruct and train you on how to deal with the risks.

Employers must consult employees on health and safety issues. Consultation must be either direct or through a safety representative that is either elected by the workforce or appointed by a trade union.